- Know your risk factors.
- Know your numbers – blood pressure, total cholestrol, good cholestrol (HDL), bad cholestrol (LDL), triglycerides and glucose.
- Keep waist size less than 35 inches for women and less than 40 inches for men. Strive for a body mass index (BMI) between 20 and 25.
- Aim for at least 30 mts of cardiovascular exercise most days of the week.
- If you smoke, STOP immediately.
- Make small attainable dietary changes weekly. Omit fried food, saturate fats and tras fats. Add five fruits and vegetables to your daily choices.
- Reduce stress – many studies show that reducing stress helps lower blood pressure.